Free Interactive Report
Health and Well-being in the US
By 2030, UN Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 3, Good Health and Well-being, aims to ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for everyone of all ages. This includes addressing mental health, maternal and child mortality, deaths from road accidents and pollution, and communicable and non-communicable diseases. It also means ensuring access to insurance and affordable healthcare - from general primary care and family planning, to addiction treatment and counseling services.
In the US, over 30 million people lack access to affordable health insurance and 12% (1 in 8) of US adults avoid going to the doctor due to cost-related issues.
Health in the US can be linked with a range of other issues including food insecurity, unemployment, poverty, and geographic location. One in 5 adults report experiencing depression while an estimated 55% of US counties do not have any practicing psychiatrists. Mental illness and substance use disorders are involved in 1 out of every 8 emergency department visits by a US adult.
Use the tool below to view health-related indicators nationally or by state, as well as an overview of the more than 79,700 nonprofit organizations that work on addressing related issues in the US. You can also discover 567 products and services in our Tech for Good Directory related to health insurance, mental health, telemedicine, and other key areas of healthcare access.
This interactive report is continuously updated and it is free thanks to X4Impact Founding Partners.
If your organization is interested in sponsoring a report to support equitable access to data for all, please Contact Us to learn more.
doctor because of costs
|No data available|
Access More Insights on US Nonprofits
License a dataset of tax exempt organizations ranked by employees, income, assets, IT budget and other selected criteria. We provide name, address, NTEE code, website, revenues, expenses, income sources, focus area, UN SDG classification, and other dimensions for each organization. See Data Dictionary: Expanded Dataset Tab.
Flow of Funding Tool
Our Money Flow Tool provides a more in depth look at key financial indicators for nonprofit organizations in the US.
Our Vertical Landscape Reports provide insights on the nonprofit sector for Philanthropists, Impact Investors, Consulting Firms, Academia, and Technology Providers to support your funding, partnerships, go-to-market and engagement strategies. Choose from over 70 impact areas including Education, Environment, Healthcare, Human Services, and more. Check out the 2022 Human Services Landscape to see an example report.
Interactive Tool Sources:
- Hospital Beds: KFF (Kaiser Family Foundation) and 2015 – 2018 AHA Annual Survey, Copyright 2019 by Health Forum, LLC, an affiliate of the American Hospital Association. Special data request, 2019. Available at http://www.ahaonlinestore.com.
- Healthcare Costs Barriers: KFF analysis of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) 2013-2019 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS). And X4Impact proprietary projections.
- Depression in the US: USAFacts 2021
- Nonprofit-related data: X4Impact analysis of over 600,000 forms 990 filed with the Internal Revenue Service -IRS 2018-2020
- Healthline – What Are the 12 Leading Causes of Death in the United States?
- SDG Tracker – SDG 3
- USAFacts – Depression Rate
- KFF – State Health Facts
- NCBI – The Affordable Care Act’s Impacts on Access to Insurance and Health Care for Low-Income Populations
- Center for Environmental Health
- SAVE – Covid Tracker
- MHA – The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Access to Health Care
- Harvard – The State Of Mental Health In America
- Brookings Institution – Lack of Health Coverage Deaths
- NAMI – A dozen facts about the economics of the US health-care system
- TIME – Mental Health By the Numbers
- AMA – How Healthcare Costs Hurt American Workers and Benefit the Wealthy